Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Week 0002: A Book to Read and Keep

No sooner did I get started on this journey and I had to get one of the books that compiles 1,000 different bits of poems and prose. What else to do with a couple bucks in my pocket? In terms of contemporary literature, it's not--it's years old and the material enclosed in the covers older yet.
But it still is enlightening and brightening.
I highly recommend this book for your library (found it on Amazon; it cost more to ship than to buy the volume. Perhaps something to add to a thrift shop or yard sale list?). For one thing, it has quite a bit of historical prose. This compilation is from 1947, long before the advent of technology as we know it. I was thoroughly taken by a heavy influence by and about Abraham Lincoln. And not just a little bit of it will require homework as there are mostly just excerpts of famous poems and stories; I'm lacking context to some degree.
Just the peaceful image on the cover makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment